Sharing the opportunities of growth for all...
The City of Parramatta is transforming! The momentum of growth and investment in the City of Parramatta will create many opportunities for a new and more diverse mix of high quality housing, jobs and infrastructure in a liveable, productive and sustainable City.
Council wants everyone in our community to benefit from our City’s growth and prosperity. That is why Council created the Socially Sustainable Framework as a way to guide our projects. Endorsed by Council in 2017, the Socially Sustainable Parramatta Framework (the Framework) aims to put people first, outlining specific ways that the opportunities for growth can be shared equitably for all people – residents and visitors alike, and for those in both the Parramatta CBD and its surrounding suburbs.
The core of the Framework is eight goals (see below for more information about each goal) that have been developed to help City of Parramatta achieve social sustainability. To guide its implementation and achievement of its eight goals, the Framework provides a list of actions for years 1-2, with the intention that these would be reviewed and updated for years 3-5. The Social Outcomes team seeks the community’s input in shaping the actions that will form the Framework’s years 3-5 Action Plan.
To view information about this project in your language please refer to the resources section.
- للاطلاع على معلومات حول هذا المشروع بلغتك، يرجى الرجوع إلى قسم الموارد
- इस प्रोजेक्ट के बारे में अपनी भाषा में जानकारी देखने के लिए कृपया संसाधन अनुभाग देखें
- 본 사업에 관한 정보를 원하는 언어로 살펴보려면 자료 섹션을 참조하시기 바랍니다.
What did we hear?
Thank you to everyone who participated in the years 3-5 review of the Socially Sustainable Parramatta Framework actions! 139,191 people were presented with the opportunity to provide feedback with 102 people completing the online survey and over 35 community members participating in Council's first ever virtual workshop!
Click on the button below to learn more about the process to date and what we heard from recent consultations.
Have any questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the Social Outcomes team on 02 9806 5050.
But wait, what is social sustainability?
Socially sustainable communities are equitable, diverse, connected and provide a good quality of life for all people. So a community is socially sustainable when the processes, systems, structures and relationships support our current and future generations to create healthy and liveable communities.
It is all about strengthening the cohesion and wellbeing of our diverse communities to ensure that we can continue to work towards common goals, such as great quality of life, democracy and resilience, no matter what challenges we face. It is about investing in our individual and collective wellbeing, so that all people, including our most vulnerable, can thrive.
The Framework includes eight goals to create our socially sustainable Parramatta. Within each goal, are various actions we need to take in order to reach that goal (this is what we will be reviewing in the workshop).
- Work towards ensuring every child in Parramatta is healthy, nurtured, happy, and will thrive.
- The benefits of growth are being shared equitably with all when there is no opportunity gap between children (aged 0-4 years) from low and high income families.
- Deliver and expand on a diverse range of affordable high quality housing that meets the spectrum of housing needs in the community.
- The benefits of growth are being shared equitably for all when all Parramatta residents can afford to pay for housing that meets their needs.
- Facilitate formal and informal learning opportunities at all ages, to help people improve their circumstances, reach their full potential and share their knowledge, creativity and culture.
- The benefits of growth will be shared equitably by all when people have equal opportunity to access formal and informal learning opportunities.
- Secure and retain decent jobs and access to enterprise for all Parramatta residents.
- The benefits of growth will be shared by all when people have access to the benefits of economic participation.
- Design, build and maintain public spaces and neighbourhoods that are green, safe and inclusive for all.
- The benefits of growth are being shared equitably with all when we design, build and maintain public spaces and neighbourhoods that are green, safe and inclusive for all
- Improve physical and mental health outcomes, starting with groups experiencing disadvantage.
- The benefits of growth are being shared equitably with all when there is a closing of the health inequality gap and people are living longer with greater quality of life, regardless of their socioeconomic position.
- Facilitate social connections to foster socially and culturally diverse, inclusive and empowered communities.
- The benefits of growth are being share equitably with all when we are willing to welcome a stranger, whether that be a visitor, a migrant, our neighbour, a co-worker, someone who is vulnerable, or someone who is different from ourselves.
- Improve Council’s policies and practices to enable a more socially sustainable City of Parramatta
- The benefits of growth are being shared equitably with all when social responsibility is embedded in the core business strategy of Council, local organisations and businesses, and they consider how their actions affect our people.