The Wigram Street pop-up cycleway in Harris Park was a Transport for NSW COVID response initiative designed to boost healthy activity and provide an alternative travel option during the 2021 lockdown.
The pop-up cycleway:
- Links the M4 Cycleway at the south end of Wigram Street to the existing shared path at Harris Park Train Station off Cambridge Street
- Provides a safe route for cyclists without mixing with other traffic
In early 2023, Council invited the community to comment on the proposal to convert the Wigram Street pop-up to a permanent cycleway with additional streetscape improvements. We asked, which of two possible traffic configurations do you prefer?
The two options
Option 1 proposed a route including a change to one-way northbound traffic on Wigram Street between Bowden Street and Allen Street.
Option 2 proposed the existing pop-up cycleway route.
The traffic plans can be viewed under Resources with more information in the Frequently Asked Questions below.
Option 1 introduces one-way traffic. Scope includes:
- Change to one-way northbound traffic on Wigram Street between Bowden Street and Allen Street;
- Widening of the separated cycleway on Wigram Street from 2.4m to 3.0m wide;
- Replacement of the pop-up cycleway’s temporary barrier with a low 1.0m wide concrete separator; and
- Removal of 4 x on-street parking spaces on the east verge of Wigram Street south of Bowden Street.
The scope of Option 2 involves retaining existing traffic arrangements:
- Retention of two-way traffic flow on Wigram Street;
- Retention of the 2.4m wide separated cycleway on Wigram Street south of Cambridge Street; and
- Replacement of the pop-up cycleway’s temporary barrier with a low 0.4m wide concrete separator.
The scope common to both configurations includes:
- Widening the Cambridge Street south verge between Wigram Street and the zebra crossing near the rail bridge by 1.5m to allow for a widened footpath and separated cycleway;
- Undergrounding of overhead powerlines on the Cambridge Street south verge between Wigram Street and the zebra crossing near the rail bridge;
- Reinstating 7 x on-street parking spaces along the south verge of Cambridge Street between Wigram Street and the zebra crossing near the rail bridge;
- Widening the existing 2.1m wide shared path on the north verge of the Cambridge Street rail bridge to 3.5m wide;
- Constructing a new continuous footpath treatment on Tottenham Street at its intersection with Cambridge Street;
- Constructing a new continuous footpath treatment on Station Street W at its intersection with Cambridge Street;
- Providing a new raised zebra crossing on Wigram Street south of Allen Street;
- Raising the existing zebra crossing on Allen Street near Wigram Street;
- Landscape work on the affected Cambridge Street south verge;
- Tree replanting of any trees removed;
- Box marking of on-street parking;
- Reinstatement of signage and pavement marking; and
- Utility adjustments as required.
The scope does not include:
- Changes to or landscaping of the verges on Wigram Street;
- Renewal of unaffected line marking
Frequently asked questions
In 2021, Transport for NSW engaged with local residents and provided funding for the pop-up cycleway as a COVID transport initiative. TfNSW funded the design and Council constructed the cycleway in September 2021. A six-month trial period to March 2022 was conducted with no objections received.
The cycleway currently links the M4 cycleway at the bottom of Wigram Street and the shared path at Harris Park Station off Cambridge Street. It is an important link as a separated route for cyclists between Granville and Parramatta CBD
Transport for NSW is funding design development of the conversion. The approved design development cost is $145,307. The final construction cost will depend on the outcome of this public consultation.
One configuration makes traffic one way on Wigram Street between Bowden Street and Allen Street, allowing more space for regular traffic and widening the cycleway from 2.4m to 3.0m wide. The second is to retain two way traffic and the popup cycleway route and make this permanent. Council is inviting feedback from the community on both options to determine the best solution.
Council’s Parramatta Bike Plan 2017 includes this route. The pop-up cycleway trial by Transport for NSW has been popular with riders. To maintain safety between riders and general traffic the cycleway is proposed to remain separated and be made permanent.
Yes, it is possible there will be some minor parking loss, depending on the configuration chosen. Both configurations propose reinstatement of 7 parking spaces on Cambridge Street west of Wigram Street.
It is possible there will be the need to remove some street trees and replace them with new trees.
The cycleway provides a safe, separated and convenient link from the M4 shared path to a nearby primary school and train station. Daily around 50 riders use it.
If you need assistance providing feedback, or you would like information supplied in another language or format, please contact Council's Community Engagement Team via 1300 617 058 or email@example.com.
If you would like to speak to someone over the phone in another language, call TIS National on 131 450 for a free interpreting service. Let them know you want to speak to City of Parramatta Council and your chosen language and they will connect you.
市议会致力于确保每个人都能获得所需要的信息。如果您需要以其它语言或格式获取信息，请致电 1300 617 058 或发送电邮至 firstname.lastname@example.org
如果您希望以其它语言进行电话交谈，请致电 131 450 联系 TIS 全国服务中心获取免费传译服务。告诉他们您想与 Parramatta 市议会通话和您选用的语言，他们就会为您接通。
यहाँ क्लिक करें
काउंसिल यह सुनिश्चित करने के लिए प्रतिबद्ध है कि सभी लोगों को अपनी ज़रूरत की जानकारी सुलभ हो। अगर आप किसी अन्य भाषा या फॉर्मेट में जानकारी चाहते/चाहती हैं, तो कृपया 1300 617 058 पर कॉल करें या email@example.com पर ईमेल भेजें
अगर आप फ़ोन पर किसी अन्य भाषा में बात करना चाहते/चाहती हैं, तो निःशुल्क दुभाषिया सेवा के लिए 131 450 पर TIS National को कॉल करें। उन्हें बताएं कि आप सिटी ऑफ़ पैरामाटा काउंसिल से अपनी चुनी हुई भाषा में बात करना चाहते/चाहती हैं और वे आपको कनेक्ट करेंगे।
카운슬은 모든 사람이 필요한 정보를 이용할 수 있도록 최선을 다해 지원합니다. 다른 언어나 형식으로 된 정보를 원하시면‚ 전화 1300 617 058번 또는 이메일 firstname.lastname@example.org로 연락하십시오.
다른 언어로 전화 문의를 원하시면, 통번역 서비스(TIS National) 전화 131 450번으로 연락해 무료 통역을 이용하십시오. 파라마타 시 카운슬과 통화를 원한다고 말하고 해당 언어를 선택하시면 연결됩니다.
يلتزم المجلس بالتأكد من إمكانية وصول الجميع إلى المعلومات التي
يحتاجونها. إذا كنت ترغب في الحصول على معلومات بلغة أخرى أو نسق
آخر، يُرجى الاتصال على الرقم 1300617058 أو إرسال رسالة إلى
إذا كنت ترغب في التحدث إلى أحد الموظفين عبر الهاتف بلغة أخرى،
TIS National اتصل بـ
للحصول على خدمة ترجمة
مجانية. اخبرهم بأنك تريد التحدث إلى مجلس مدينة باراماتا وحدِّد لهم لغتك
المختارة وسوف يصلونك بالمجلس هاتفياً